> On Jul 12, 2017, at 2:57 PM, Jeremy Hughes <moon.rab...@virginmedia.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On 12 Jul 2017, at 22:07, Quincey Morris
>> <quinceymor...@rivergatesoftware.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Or there's something else going on under the covers.
>>
>> Yes, you are correct, betting *against* this assumption is a really, really
>> terrible idea. Reasoning about the point at which objects actually
>> deallocate is a code smell.
>
> I’m trying to understand memory management so I can avoid retain cycles and
> other issues.
>
> …
>
> If I release the child view controllers of this top-level view controller (by
> assigning an empty array to childViewControllers), my expectation is that I
> don’t have to release every view controller and view in the hierarchy because
> they are effectively owned by the top-level view controller.

While this discussion has been good at understanding underlying ARC and manual
ref-count issues, my guess as to what's causing these issues is that you
shouldn't just assign nil to the childViewControllers array. You should try
calling:

childVC.removeFromParentViewController()

for each child view controller.

Hopefully this is the source of your object-ownership issues.

Doug Hill