I'm working on a little NSDocument-based app. The documents are packages (a
directory containing multiple files). One of the operations is to import a
music file into the document, which should copy the music file into the
package, and set it as the track for the document.

Undoing this operation is somewhat complex (where do I store the previous track
if any?). So for now, I want to ignore undo.

But I'm not sure how to copy the track file into the package. For example, what
if it's an untitled document, and therefore has no package on disk? The action
should result in a dirty document that isn't committed to disk until the next
save (be it automatic or manual).

Can this even be done without undo?

Along those lines, how do I mark a document as dirty after some change, without
making the change undoable?

Thanks,

--
Rick Mann