At this point I am comfortable eliminating the mouse as an issue for you. You
are right, mouse wheel processing is different. It came into the system well
before the trackpad support. I believe macOS is in the second or third
generation of trackpad support, with the last change adding gesture and depth
control.

Good luck finding the problem!

Jack