Apple's instructions for combo boxes say:  "Note that while you can construct
your NSComboBox
so that users are restricted to only selecting items from the combo box’s
pop-up list,
this isn’t the combo box’s normal behavior."

For our use, we definitely want to restrict NSComboBox to only accept items in
the list.
For accounting, we can't create new accounts on the fly from just a name,
especially if users make a typo.
The goal is to auto-fill an account from what they type, and ignore typing if
not a match.

We searched sample projects, the archives here, and StackOverflow.  No
instructions on how to
restrict it.  Has anyone here ever done it?

BTW our current Carbon app does something similar with a text field and popup.
The design
came from from an article in Dev Connect by Bruce Tognazzini back in the late
80s.
He called it a "disambiguating field".

I'm surprised NSComboBox doesn't just have a Boolean to do what we want.

Thanks,

Casey McDermott

Turtle Creek Software
http://www.turtlesoft.com