I forgot to mention that the lists may contain 10,000s of items. Maybe
100,000s.
Typing to select from NSPopUpButton works OK for short lists.  I just made a
test
popup with 300 items and it's already awkward.  10K would be absurd.

These are business records, and users may data enter hundreds a day.  They want
to tab, type a few letters to select a customer, tab to the next field, type a
bit to
select an inventory item, etc.  Type a customer that doesn't exist and it
should beep
and ignore the keystrokes.  If they need to enter a new customer, it's a
right-click,
then a panel to enter more than just the name.

Our current interface does use popup buttons for some things, but people
complain
about them.  They don't want to take hands off keyboard.  We plan to convert
those
to combo boxes so it can be completely mouseless.

That "disambiguating field" article by Tog may be on one of the developer CDs.
I can't find it online. It explained this use case very well, and interface to
solve it.
It was a major reason why we switched from Excel templates to a C++ app.
NSComboBox is close, but we need it confined to existing items.

Thanks,

Casey McDermott

Turtle Creek Software
http://www.turtlesoft.com