> On 10 Sep 2018, at 11:06 am, Richard Charles <rcharles...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On my development machine running 10.12.6 pressing the spacebar will dismiss
> a simple NSAlert. This is because in System Preferences > Keyboard >
> Shortcuts > Full Keyboard Access > All Controls was selected. (For some
> reason it took forever to discover this.)
>
> When "All Controls" is selected the control with focus will have a focus ring
> drawn around it and pressing the spacebar will "click" the control with
> focus. Also pressing the tab key will move the keyboard focus between
> controls.
>
> Setting a control key equivalent to the return key will make it the default
> control and it will be blue. The default control can be "clicked" by pressing
> the return key.

Son of a gun. Thanks for elucidating this Richard.

I guess I've had full keyboard access turned on for some time. Quite awhile ago
I noticed these focus rings start showing up in alert panels, but it never
occurred to me to press the space bar.

I had actually been intending to file a bug report decrying the ambiguity
between the focus ring and the blue backfill insofar as which control gets
acted upon. (I didn't realize that these signify two different activation
methods.)

-b