> On Sep 10, 2018, at 12:17 PM, Ben Kennedy <b...@zygoat.ca> wrote:
>
> Son of a gun. Thanks for elucidating this Richard.

Actually Andy Lee was right on when he suggested "it may depend on the setting
in System Preferences that governs whether all controls can get keyboard
focus". However I could not see what "All controls" had to do with pressing the
spacebar so I stumbled upon my insight independently of Andy's comment.

Apple could do a better job of documenting this behavior somewhere for
developers and users.

--Richard Charles