On Jul 25, 2019, at 20:50:18, Dragan Milić via Cocoa-dev
<cocoa-dev@lists.apple.com> wrote:

> The thing is, in that dragging session I have to supply a list of URLs, so
> that other applications expecting URLs (like Finder, for example) would
> accept them. As a matter of fact, speaking about specifics, what I really
> want is to do is drag a couple of URLs into System Preferences’ “Full Disk
> Access” list, and that one accepts only lists of URLs, as far as I know.
>
> Now, I want it to look like a user is only dragging an icon of my application
> (which he/she really does), but application’s privileged helper needs to be
> added into “Full Disk Access” too. I don’t want user to see that (and
> potentially get confused), so my intention is to show just application’s icon
> during the drag. That works okay (the second dragging items has no content),
> but since I actually have two dragging items, the count badge appears, and
> that doesn’t look very nice.

According to documentation, it's up to the drop location to decide how many
items it will accept and change the numberOfValidItemsForDrop property on the
NSDraggingInfo, like if one item is a jpg file and the other is a text file,
but it only wants images, so it sets it to 1, but then if the mouse moves over
some other app or destination that wants all files, it would change back to 2.

--
Steve Mills
Drummer, Mac geek