> On Oct 4, 2019, at 23:43, Michael Hall via Cocoa-dev
> <cocoa-dev@lists.apple.com> wrote:
>

>> On Oct 4, 2019, at 2:41 PM, Lars C. Hassing via Cocoa-dev
>> <cocoa-dev@lists.apple.com> wrote:
>>

>> On 4 Oct 2019, at 21.00, Jens Alfke wrote:
>>
>> The people I hear complaining about this are those who, like you, didn't
>> move to Cocoa. Carbon was a _temporary_ transition API*. It was necessary
>> when Mac OS X shipped in March 2001, but even though it wasn't yet formally
>> deprecated, it was clear it would be.
>>
>> Carbon might have started as a temporary solution, but it ended up a very
>> good solution,
>> which Apple stated in "It’s the Future” (Last updated: 2004-06-28)
>>
>>  "Apple is committed to the HIViews, Carbon events, and nib files for Carbon
>> implementations of the user interface.
>>   All new controls and other features will be based on HIView.
>>   If you want your application to take advantage of the latest features, you
>> need to adopt the modern HIToolbox.”
>>
>> https://web.archive.org/web/20080725021421/http://developer.apple.com/documentation/Carbon/Conceptual/Upgrading_HIToolbox/upgrading_hitoolbox_conc/chapter_2_section_7.html
>>

>> When my company was going to the Mac platform (in addition to
>> Sun+AIX+Windows),
>> Carbon seemed like a good choice.
>> Now we have just wasted several man years going to Cocoa.
>> Microsoft is really the good guys, as somebody said, not letting developers
>> down.
>> /Lars
>
> Does anyone remember when Cocoa / Carbon / Java were all supposed to be valid
> paths forward on OS X?
>
> A quick search turned up...
> http://ec30.org/skills/mac-os-x-carbon-cocoa-development/
> <http://ec30.org/skills/mac-os-x-carbon-cocoa-development/>
>
> Notice the application frameworks in the image at the front.
>
> It wasn’t always clear that Cocoa was going to be the last man standing on OS
> X.

Anybody who would have done a little bit of research about the origin of OS X
would have found it was originally NeXTSTEP, then OPENSTEP, which had an
Objective-C base and where every application was built using Cocoa. Of course,
at some point, the older technologies were bound to be deprecated. I’m also
sorry for the small developers who have to go through those changes. I’m a lone
developer myself and I know how it can be hard sometimes. We have powerful
tools to write applications these days. Compared to the THINK Class Library and
Metrowerks, the tools that were available to build Cocoa apps back then (and
even these days) were lightyears ahead of these primitive tools. Of course,
there was the learning curve for people coming from Carbon and C++. But once
you get experienced with Cocoa and Objective-C, you can build applications or
rewrite them fairly quickly, IMHO.

-Laurent.
--
Laurent Daudelin