—Jens

> On Oct 11, 2019, at 3:32 PM, tblenko--- via Cocoa-dev
> <cocoa-dev@lists.apple.com> wrote:
>
> I attended a public (technical) talk in Town Hall (I think it’s called) at
> Apple shortly before or after I went to work there. It would have been around
> 2000-2001.
>
> The speaker’s message was that the future of the desktop was Java.... the
> speaker was the manager of the compiler group responsible for Java and
> Objective-C — and had been going back to early NeXT days. So one had to
> conclude that he was committed to the course he described. People tried to
> ask about Objective-C (vs. Java) and he said that Objective-C was done, he
> clearly didn’t want to talk about that.

That was the feeling at NeXT/Apple at the time of the merger, but it had
fizzled out by 2000. Performance of Java, especially app launch time, wasn’t
good enough. That sounds like Steve Naroff talking (great guy), but probably no
later than 1999.

 (I was working on Java at Apple during that time. I was a huge Java zealot
early on, but by 2000 I’d decided it wasn’t good for desktop apps, and embraced
Obj-C.)

—Jens