> On Oct 11, 2019, at 7:55 PM, cocoa-dev-requ...@lists.apple.com wrote:
>
> Me, I still don?t understand why, given the long history of support at
> Apple/NeXT for C++ and the maturity of the compilers available, there is any
> need for Swift. But there it is.

It is my inference that Swift arose out of a perceived need for a language that
strongly  inhibited bad/lazy/sloppy programming practices, and yet looked
“normal”.

I further infer that the perceived need arose due to the confluence of
aggravation over publicity over security bugs and the desire to develop
autonomous vehicle software.

What they have ended up is a kind of disciplined, compiling Python — not really
a bad concept, given the goals.

I would not want to be at the mercy of a vehicle piloted by C++.  Or
Objective-C, for that matter. (And I happily use ObjC every day).

Kirk Kerekes
(iPhone)