> On Oct 11, 2019, at 8:10 PM, Kirk Kerekes via Cocoa-dev
> <cocoa-dev@lists.apple.com> wrote:
>
> I further infer that the perceived need arose due to the confluence of
> aggravation over publicity over security bugs and the desire to develop
> autonomous vehicle software.

I don’t think so. Language people don’t develop languages for narrow reasons
like that, and business people don’t respond to such issues by calling for a
new programming language.

Swift has been in development since 2010, and what drove it, the people who
originated say, was the need to go past the limits of what could be added to
Objective-C.

> What they have ended up is a kind of disciplined, compiling Python — not
> really a bad concept, given the goals.

I see Swift and Python as extremely different languages. Python is very
dynamic, Swift is very static. Swift is a lot closer to Scala, C#, Go, and Rust.

—Jens