> On Oct 14, 2019, at 5:02 PM, Charles Srstka <cocoa...@charlessoft.com> wrote:
>
> Swift, on the other hand, can actually *be* a scripting language if you want
> it to; put #!/usr/bin/env swift at the top of a source file, give it execute
> permissions, and voilà, it’ll run just like a script.

*Anything* can be a scripting language in that sense, in Unix. I could write a
two-line script called "run_c" containing*:
        #! /bin/bash
        cc "$1" -o /tmp/a.out && /tmp/a.out
and put it somewhere in my path; then I can put "#! /usr/bin/env/run_c" at the
top of any C source file and run it as a script.

To me, "scripting language" strongly implies a CLI, plus dynamic typing, and no
boilerplate (so I can write one-line programs.)

—Jens

* Typed in Mail. Should work, but I haven't tested it.