Thanks for all the helpful insights and links.

At this point, I'm using Audio Units in my iOS test app. I can generate signals
of specific type, frequency and amplitude. That was the easy part...

However, a hard requirement is that the app must generate what amounts to
'DC-offset' signals (fully offset from the X-axis). Specifically, for a set
period of time, the signal needs to be offset fully above the X-axis (a fully
'positive' signal), and then for a set period of time be offset fully below the
X-axis (fully 'negative'). This cyclic pattern repeats indefinitely. (Yes,
strictly speaking, these aren't 'audio' signals any longer; they're actually
biological stem-cell stimulation signals.)

I generate the AU waveform data according to:
  sample = (sin(theta) * amplitude/2) + amplitude/2; // e.g., sine wave offset
positive
  sample = (sin(theta) * amplitude/2) - amplitude/2; // e.g., sine wave offset
negative
...and I've verified that this results in the correct offset values in the AU
buffer. But when the AU subsystem renders this data, it ignores the offset and
generates a "corrected" X-axis-centered audio signal anyway, which is useless
for my purpose.

Is this sort of thing possible to do with Audio Units? AVFoundation?

-Carl