Does this seem related?

https://9to5mac.com/2020/04/28/new-bug-found-in-macos-can-quickly-fill-up-storage-when-importing-photos-with-image-capture/

"The problem discovered by the NeoFinder team is that the Mac adds 1.5MB of
empty data to each converted photo, making the imported files larger for no
reason. By looking inside these photos through a Hex-Editor, you can find a
section full of zeroes, which results in unnecessarily larger files.”

I know you’re not capturing images, just loading them, but It’s pretty
suspiciously similar.