>>  https://iscreensaver.com
>>

> Looks like a macOS application with screen saver functionality. You could
> download it and try it

It's a "screensaver builder":
you add a bunch of picture, "build" a screensaver, and that sits then in your
System Preferences' Desktop & Screensavers pane.
And it runs as a screensaver (well, actually, it gets run by macOS saver
engine).

> there other pieces installed. Open up the app package and see what is inside.
> That might give

It contains lots of frameworks (dylibs), most of which look like they're copied
from the macOS.
And two apps.
Nothing else of interest, AFAICS.
No source code available.

After you build the screensaver, there is an actual plugin in ~/Library/Screen
Savers,
which is just a regular screen saver.

When the saver runs and you move the mouse, you get an overlay , just like with
the video player, with icons like "forward", "pause"; you can click the icons
(e.g., pause the slide show).

So I am wondering very much how they do that.

Best regards, Gabriel