On 27 Jun 2008, at 12:19 am, John Love wrote:

Still pouring over your thesis

I thought it was getting a bit damp around here... ;-)

and at the very top:

@implementation CalculateSheetController

id *mFileSheetDelegate;

Within the implementation of showSheetOnParentWindow, I get "assignment from
incompatible pointer type" with:

id already is a pointer, so you don't want the *

and later on within this SC's implementation:

- (void) sheetDidEnd:(NSWindow*)sheet
                    returnCode:(int)returnCode
                    contextInfo:(void*)contextInfo {
   [mFileSheetDelegate doSheetSelection:sheet returnCode:returnCode
contextInfo:contextInfo];

Looking much better, but one question: why are you passing <sheet> to your FC? Why on earth does it need it? Again this exposes UI implementation details to an unrelated controller that shouldn't need to care about that.

By the way my FC has the formal doSheetSelection:returnCode:contextInfo
selector or method .. one final thing on this item, I do not really
understand "informal protocols", so I have not yet tried to implement such.

Well, you could try searching the docs for that phrase...

But in simple terms an informal protocol is just a method or methods that different objects agree between themselves will be how they communicate (and by 'agree between themselves' I mean that you, the programmer, made that decision). In fact you are using them all the time whenever you write any method that another object calls. Don't be too misled by the jargon, there's not much more to it than that. A *formal* protocol on the other hand, is much stricter, and uses the @protocol directive, but I won't get into that, you probably don't need to know. The term 'informal' is really there to distinguish it from a formal @protocol situation.

cheers, Graham