Let me know if there is a more appropriate forum for this question -- this
Cocoa list was the best I could find, especially considering that I am not
one of the lucky few in the "official" iphone developer program, and do not
see any other avenues of getting my questions answered.

I'm developing an application for Cocoa & Cocoa Touch, which will
synchronize notes between a PC and Phone.  The system requires the use of a
centralized server, which store and manage the synchronization.
I want to sell the application through the AppStore, but am not sure of the
best way to deal with pricing, especially since if a user manages to defeat
the DRM in the AppStore, they would not only pirate the application, but
would cause me additional monthly charges in data storage, traffic, etc.

I have some options I'm considering, such as:

1. Price the application as free in the AppStore, and charge separately for
the synchronization service.  This means the iPhone app could be used to
write/edit notes (and save them locally on their phone), but would not be
able to synchronize them with another device until they get a
synchronization account.

I could offer the subscription elsewhere (eg, on google checkout), and once
the payment is verified, I would provision an account for the user.

This in my mind would be the safest way -- and also makes sense for other
scenarios in the future, such as if the end user doesn't have an iPhone, and
wants to synchronize notes between 2 or more Macs (thus there is no AppStore
for them).

Would Apple consider this a way of cheating their distribution model?

2. Price the application at $15 (for example), which would include 1 year of
service.

This would be the most convenient for the end-user, but I'm concerned about:

 - What happens when the 12 months expire, does the user need to purchase
the app "again" from the AppStore?  This would likely violate the AppStore
policies.

 - What happens if users are able to copy the app to another device/pirate
it.  I would have no way of knowing the difference between a "paid" user,
and one who pirated it. Unless Apple would provide developers with the
serial numbers of the devices who paid for the app, I really wouldn't know
who to kick off of the service.

I'm really not sure which way to go here -- it isn't very clear to me how
applications+service type apps should be sold & distributed under their
umbrella.

thanks

--
-bri