Hi All,

I'm in the process of learning Cocoa/Objective-C and I'm writing some stuff for the iPhone as an exercise.

I am writing a simple application based on the "Utility Application" iPhone Template with the latest SDK Beta 8. This is a simple 2 view application with a routine called "toggleview" that sets up an animation between the 2 views to do a "UIViewAnimationTransitionFlipFromRight" transition.

The issue arrises when one view has lots of UIButtons (>40) WITH active background images set with code like .....

[self setBackgroundImage:[UIImage imageNamed:@"blank_37.png"] forState:UIControlStateNormal];

Where "self" is a UIButton derived custom class.

As the number of buttons increases the animation processing slows down to the point that there is no animation and it approaches 2 frames of animation - first frame and last frame (ie no perceived animation).

I have proved it is the images in the buttons because performance is great with just a background colour set (no images), I can also see the animation render at very low frame rates if I significantly increase the transition time, and performance increase the fewer buttons with images there are.

So my question is - given I don't want to reduce the number of buttons, and I want the images for eye candy reasons, is there anything I can do to improve performance of the core animation transition?

Tx

Richard

PS. This is running in the simulator on an Intel Macbook Pro with 2GB of memory and not iPhone natively (I couldn't get into the developer early access)