Hi all,
I'm quite fresh of this mailing list (and to cocoa), so please accept my apologies if there is something wrong with the subject.
I have a problem using Cocoa in my Java application.
In the big picture, I am developing an application that needs to display contents on a continuous basis, in a way similar to those advertisement screens that is possible to find in metro stations, etc. The application contains a (Java) class that takes a path as input parameter and plays the movie found at the location of the path. This action is repeated on average every 40 secs, and paths are obtained dynamically (thus I cannot force the class to play this or that movie). Internally, in the Java class i define an applescript script and an NSAppleScript that executes the script. The excerpt of code for the execution of the applescript script is below ('script' is the applescript script I use to start the application and play the movie):

NSAppleScript myScript=new NSAppleScript(script);
NSMutableDictionary errors=new NSMutableDictionary();
 System.out.println("Starting script execution");
 myScript.execute(errors);
System.out.println("script executed");
if(errors.count()>0)
        System.out.println("errors: "+errors.toString());

In my tests, I am using VLC or QuickTime as players.
When I use VLC, the applescript script I use is:
String script = "tell application \"VLC\" \n" +
                "\t OpenURL \""+path+"\" \n" +
                "\t play \n" +
                "\t next \n" +
                "\t --quit application \"VLC\" \n" +
                "end tell \n";

When I use QuickTime Player, the script I use is:
String script="tell application \"QuickTime Player\" \n"+
                    "\t open file (\" "+path+" \" as POSIX file) \n"+
                "end tell \n"+
                "delay 15\n"+
                "tell application \"QuickTime Player\" \n"+
                "\t quit \n"+
                "end tell";
What apparently happens, and is my problem, is that at a certain point the NSAppleScript does appear to return, and thus the Java class is insensitive to the subsequent calls. In other words, looking at the code snippet above: on a normal execution, the application would print on screen:

Starting script execution
script executed

while on a 'problematic' execution what I have is only:

Starting script execution

and the application ceases to work.
I don't know whether this is an issue related to the actual applescript script or the execution of the NSAppleScript itself, and can't work out a way to get rid of this. The OS is 10.5.4, and the Java use is the latest released for Mac but compiled with Java 5 standards. Does anybody know what's wrong with this? Or, alternatively, other solutions?

Thanks in advance.

Antonio.
http://san.ee.ic.ac.uk/~diferdin