Chris Paveglio wrote:
My code is like this:

NSMutableString *theSettings;
theSettings = [[NSMutableString alloc] init];

//myPrefs is an array of strings, each item is like "Library/Safari"

int i;
        for (i = 0; i < 8; i++
        {
theSettings = [NSHomeDirectory() stringByAppendingPathComponent:[myPrefs
objectAtIndex:i]];

Thinking about it, do I need the alloc and init commands? Sometimes I am unsure
about what needs alloc or init versus what I can just declare as a variable
without doing that.

No, you don't. Also, unless you're going to modify settings after assigning it in your loop, then you should make it a NSString *.

The compiler is likely complaining because you're assigning NSString * to a NSMutableString *.

If you really need a mutable string then change the assignment line to this:

theSettings = [[NSHomeDirectory() stringByAppendingPathComponent:[myPrefs objectAtIndex:i]] mutableCopy];

HtH,
Jason