Well, look at what you're doing:

1. First, you declare a pointer to an NSMutableString object called "theSettings".

2. You then allocate and initialize an empty NSMutableString object. A pointer to some address in memory is returned, and you assign theSettings to this value. Now theSettings is a pointer to the address of this NSMutableString object you just allocated.

3. Inside your loop, you call a method that returns a pointer to a new object, reassigning theSettings to that pointer, which overwrites the original value of theSettings. You never use the NSMutableString object you allocated before the loop. (And now you can't release it, if you're not using garbage collection. You'll leak that object.)

You should pick up a copy of K&R and read up on pointers. In the meantime, there's also Uli Kusterer's excellent Masters of the Void tutorials, which contains a good chapter on this stuff too:

http://masters-of-the-void.com/

--
m-s