On Jul 5, 2008, at 04:07, Georg Seifert wrote:

My document Object has a Array of independent graphical items (containing some properties).

Each item should have its own undo/redo based of selection in the interface. So I select Item_1, modify it, select Item_2 and modify it, too. Then I want to be able to select item_1 again and undo its changes.

I know that this is very unusual and may confuse users but it needs to be this way.

I have a Instance of NSUndoManager in each of my items. But how do I tell the menu which undoManager is "active" (to display an appropriate actionName).

Implementing the window delegate method 'windowWillReturnUndoManager:' to return the correct undo manager should do what you want.