My document Object has a Array of independent graphical items (containing some properties).

Each item should have its own undo/redo based of selection in the interface. So I select Item_1, modify it, select Item_2 and modify it, too. Then I want to be able to select item_1 again and undo its changes.

I know that this is very unusual and may confuse users but it needs to be this way.

I have a Instance of NSUndoManager in each of my items. But how do I tell the menu which undoManager is "active" (to display an appropriate actionName).

Implementing the window delegate method 'windowWillReturnUndoManager:' to return the correct undo manager should do what you want.

This was very helpfull. I didn’t thought that 5 lines of code could help. ;)

But than I have just another question: If I select more than one object. All the handling of the undos of the single object I can do in the undo/redo functions of my delegate. But how do I tell the menu that the is "something" to undo? I would return a dummy undoManager? How do I set this up?

For now I can live with it that undo only works with on object selected but it would be very convenient for the users to have it in the long term.

Many Thanks again