On Jul 6, 2008, at 12:25 AM, James Merkel wrote:

On Sat, 5 Jul 2008 05:08:45 -0700 (PDT) Keith Blount wrote:
Hi,

Something that has bothered me for ages in Cocoa, but which I've always put to one side, is how to handle certain deprecated methods when supporting more than one OS. In some instances it's as simple as checking at runtime which OS is being used and using the appropriate method accordingly, but I'm wondering here about the trickier instances. For instance:

I am currently overhauling printing in my application. I have a page layout accessory view and I now also want to add a print panel accessory view. My app runs on both Tiger and Leopard. - setAccessoryView: works on both Tiger and Leopard, for adding an accessory view to both NSPageLayout and NSPrintPanel. However, in both cases, -setAccessoryView: was (rather frustratingly in this case, I feel, as it worked fine) informally deprecated on Leopard. Instead, we are advised to use -addAccessoryViewController:, which uses an NSViewController. ...

This brings up another question. Is -setAccessoryView: deprecated across the board or just for NSPageLayout and NSPrintPanel? I just added an accessory view to an NSSavePanel. There wasn't anything in the NSSavePanel docs that said -setAccessoryView: was deprecated there.

Deprecation is noted in the reference for a particular class. A deprecation such as this one will only be relevant to that class, and subclasses.

So, no, it isn't deprecated.