So the document instance changes I guess. Why would that happen and how can
I stop it?

Only your code could tell us why.

The MyDocument.m file is pretty long so I don't want to post it on here, and it links to other files too. So here's the full source code instead: http://www.think-yak.com/files/XCite_source.zip – if anyone wants to check it out for me then that would be hugely appreciated, but please don't spend too much time on it.

I'm afraid there isn't as much commenting as there should be and some of the code is appalling at the moment – i only started Cocoa two weeks ago, so I'm still learning some of the basics (I know, for example, that the copy and paste procedure does everything twice, which is horribly inefficient – working on it today).

It's a drag-and-drop bibliography program in case anyone is wondering, for BibTex/EndNote etc.

Thanks again,