Hi,

I'm designing an application that will consist of a main UI app plus about three agents that will perform various aspects of the product.

I want to support multiple documents for the app, displayed in a single-window UI in the main app (i.e. using a source list rather than separate document windows).

My thought is to store the documents on disk as file packages, with files within each "owned" by each of the component apps. For example, a configuration file that is only saved by the main UI app, but can be read by the agents as needed, and similar for state information for each of the agents.

I would like to use Core Data for at least the main app, but realize that it doesn't support file packages. As far as I can see from the documentation, I might be able to use a custom atomic store to implement this: rather than writing out to a single file, it could write the entities out to separate files within the file packages. Or it could at least write out a file reference (e.g. path) to the single atomic store file, and use that to load/save the data in the packages. Would that work? Or is there a better way to do this?

My other idea is to use single independent Core Data SQLite stores for the main app and agents as a kind of cache, and write a custom copy of the data in the file packages, and keep them in synch. But that seems less elegant (and more hazardous) to me.

--

David Sinclair, Dejal Systems, LLC - [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Dejal blog - http://www.dejal.com/blog/