On Jul 10, 2008, at 1:29 PM, Michael Ash wrote:

Some experimentation reveals that the compiler is "merely" extremely
inconsistent about when it warns. For example, int and void warns,
float and void warns, but float and int does not. Double and int
warns, double and float warns, but int and id does not. I can't find
any particular pattern to it, but it's clear that it's a bug, not a
deliberate omission. I recommend you file a bug with Apple.

Based on this sample size of 6 data points, it would appear the pattern is based on the relative sizes of the types.