On 14 Jul 2008, at 7:48 pm, Georg Seifert wrote:

Hello,

Thanks for you replies.

To clarify: I need it in a small drawing app, where you can draw shapes and then you should be able to combine them. There is no outline but the winding is quite important (there may be overlapping, clipping and self intersecting parts).

If you don't need to draw the stroke, things maybe much easier (you could keep a list of contributing paths as part of some object of your own device for example).

I did found DrawKit but as I need to keep the curves, this doesn’t seem to be an option.

Right now I use GPC and (optional) curve fitting. It keeps the curves in terms of their appearance but can greatly alter the number and location of the control points. I don't like it much either - one reason I'd love there to be a great solution built-in. Unfortunately I'm no mathematician and so I haven't been able to come up with a great way to do it from first principles, nor found any suitable code out there until...

I just had a short look at the Omni-OAExtensions. There are some functions to find intersections of paths, so I have to build my own merging routine out of it, right?

...this. I hadn't seen those before either. It looks as if they've given away the hardest part, finding the intersections and crossing directions of each intersection. On top of that you can build the set operations. I plan to have a very good look at doing this for DK as soon as I can - if it can be made to work it will be a much better solution than curve fitting. Props to the Omni guys for being prepared to give away this code like this :)