Matt, much thanks for the correction to my inaccurate statement.  If I'm not
mistaken my 2.0Ghz G5 iMac has FW400--not FW800.
Also the current minis have FW400 only. This is surprising since older models,
i believe, had FW800--years ago.
I could be wrong and I apaologize for not taking the time to check the specs,
but that was really an aside.
When speaking of 'concurrent network transmission' I didn't include WI-FI
(80211.n specifically), mistakenly thinking this was a bit
too slow.  So, architecturally, for high speed transmission over a closed
network neighborhood of say 9 minis, isn't there something
like a "SuperSocket" that could co-ordinate these now '3' streams of info.
Forgive me for drawing an analogy, but the third computer I ever worked on was
designed by Seymour Cray and the engineers at the
time commented 'we just keep on throwing PPU's at it and it doesn't even
blink."  All the current chips/busses are quite a bit more poweful than
this cdc6600 that was sitting at Purdue in the late 60's and certainly should
be capable of supporting this technique.
So, again, thanks for the correction--which might be the 'death knell' of
firewire?
-em