On Jul 18, 2008, at 3:49 PM, Michael Ash wrote:
I don't see any reason to use "autoreleased" in a situation where the
object in question has not, in fact, been sent the "autorelease"
method. It's just confusing.

Yes, you would have to acknowledge that you don't know whether autorelease has in fact been sent, which could be confusing.

The better term already exists: "own". As in, "you own the return
value" or "you do not own the return value". This tells you everything
you need to know.

Well, as I said I don't agree with the connotations of "own." I'm not even comfortable with "you" -- who is "you"? But once you accept the terms, "you own the return value" has the benefit of being concise and consistent.

What would you use for adjectives -- "owned" and "unowned"?

--Andy