On Jul 19, 2008, at 10:52 AM, Uli Kusterer wrote:
On 19.07.2008, at 05:52, Andy Lee wrote:
It's only when the ownership metaphor was applied that I questioned whether the abstraction holds up.

It's a metaphor, an abstraction. As those things go, they're bound to break down at some point.

Certainly, of course. But I'm sure I'm not the only person here who cares *where* a metaphor breaks down.

"ownership" works, because it's a term already taught in programming classes for more low-level languages (and even in good for higher- level garbage collected languages, because even there destruction order can matter).

I was a bit red-faced when Michael Ash pointed out that the term is commonly used to mean general responsibility for freeing memory. I'd honestly thought that Apple had made it up. Serves me right for not paying attention in class.

It may feel a bit odd, but thats because it works by analogy.

It only feels odd to me because the metaphor requires more stretching than in the case of, for example, the C++ String example. This is related to my discomfort with calling a retain count a reference count.

"autoreleased" in the context where an object is not added to a pool, however, leads to stale pointers and memory bugs, and may even lead to memory corruption and/or crashes. So I think I'll take an analogy hobbling in on its last leg over a label that leads to wrong code any day.

Yes, I've already admitted my suggestion was crappy. For the record, again, I've never used the term that way.

I rarely answer memory management questions, but I may answer some in the future just to get used to saying "you own it" or "you don't own it."

--Andy