On Jul 26, 2008, at 3:15 AM, Michael Ash wrote:

On Fri, Jul 25, 2008 at 11:08 PM, Henry McGilton (Starbase)
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On Jul 25, 2008, at 6:50 PM, Michael Ash wrote:

In fact I would go so far as to say that if you ever use
-setContentView:, you are very probably doing it wrong. It is, for the
most part, not a very useful call, and you can accomplish the same
thing more naturally, easily, and flexibly by adding the view as a
subview to the content view instead.

Well, I would not go quite that far, although I agree with you
in principle for normal everyday stuff.    I have some applications
which create bare windows --- no borders, controls, resizers,
shadows, and so on.    The view that replaces the default window
content view does all the drawing.    I don't see any value in
having a content view whose only purpose in life is to act as
a container for my drawing view.

Might come a day that you want two views in there, or you want to move
that one view around, and suddenly the value appears. Since it's no
harder to do things the "right" way, why not?

Okay, I'm a little bit confused. What is the "right" way?

I create a NSWindow and then I'm displaying a NSMatrix in that window. Now I need to move the NSMatrix around in the NSWindow.

Is something like this a decent Cocoa approach:

    // create the window
    myWindow = [[NSWindow alloc] initWithContentRect: ... ];
    // insert the existing matrix as it's content view
    [myWindow setContentView:myMatrix];
    // alter the position of the matrix
    NSPoint newPoint = ...
    [myMatrix setFrameOrigin:newPoint];