On 03 Aug 08, at 19:53, Michael Ash wrote:
On Sun, Aug 3, 2008 at 5:12 PM, Andrew Farmer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On 03 Aug 08, at 14:00, Steve Cronin wrote:

I am trying to simply restart my app. To my dismay, I cannot find a way
to do this in Cocoa.
Please enlighten me if I have failed to understand something!!

After perusing the archives, what makes the most sense to me is to launch
a detached shell that executes a simple AppleScript.
The script has a delay of 2 seconds and then simply does a 'launch'.

You're overcomplicating things.

int main(int argc, char **argv) {
      if(fork() || fork()) exit(0);
      sleep(2);
      execl(argv[1], argv[1], NULL);
      exit(1);
}

Launch this with a single argument - the path to your application's
executable. It'll background itself, sleep two seconds, and exec your
application.

This is, IMO, a rather bad approach. If your app takes longer than two
seconds to quit, it will fail. It's generally a bad idea to use exec()
on GUI apps. And you end up creating three subprocesses for no
particularly good reason.

The double-fork is to fully detach the child process from the parent - note that all of the parent processes immediately die, because fork() returns nonzero.

The point about exec() is entirely correct, though - LaunchServices is probably the right way to go.