On Mon, Aug 4, 2008 at 2:15 AM, Steve Cronin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I have 4 questions
> 1) Given that it is higher-level than necessary, I would still appreciate
> understanding why it doesn't work.

Race conditions, waiting on the child task to complete, reliance on
shell parsing semantics... there are plenty of reasons why your
original solution could fail.

> 2) In the script you cited, I don't understand the 'if(fork() || fork())'
> conditional test.  Can you clarify this statement?

fork returns 0 in the child, which forces the short-circuit or test to
evaluate its right hand side.  Then, in the child, the if test will
fail becuase this fork will also return zero.  It's a shorthand way to
create a grandchild processes.

> 3) Why are you using 'execl' and not 'exec'?

There is no function called exec.  `man 3 exec` brings up the manpage
for the exec family of functions... notice there's no exec function
actually listed.

--Kyle Sluder