As I mentioned in my case, the images load fine when running through
XCode, but not as a standalone binary. So, I guess the images
themselves are fine. As producing an isolated test case scenario is
going to be prohibitively difficult in my case, all I would like is a
way to detect this happening so I can behave accordingly. Im my
application, The "-11" errors start getting coughed up after a delay.
Is there any way I can detect this error happening? My code that calls
CGImageSourceCreateFromURL doesn't appear to produce null image
sources, so I can't detect and handle this error condition.

Is there any way I can detect this error condition?

-j