The way to think about this is, you bind the value of the text field to a controller (or model) object that owns the value. Then, bind the enabled binding of the button to the same property of of the same controller and use a valuetransformer to check whether the value is nil.

So your setup should look like:
- TextField value binding bound to yourObject with keypath yourStringProperty - button enabled binding bound to yourObject with keypath yourStringProperty with value transformer NSIsNotNil

You may want to turn on "continuously updates value" for the textfiled's value binding.This way as soon as the user starts typing, the enabled state of the button will get toggled.

Note that part of why this works with the value transformer is because the textfield value binding sets nil as the value when the textfield is emptied.

RONZILLA