Turn off "auto-validate" for the toolbar button in Interface Builder's attributes inspector.

On Aug 13, 2008, at 1:37 AM, Chris Idou wrote:

Ahh I see. That works for a button, but with a toolbar button it makes the button flash momentarily, but then stays non-enabled. Any ideas?

--- On Tue, 8/12/08, Ron Lue-Sang <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

From: Ron Lue-Sang <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Is this how you can use bindings?
To: "Chris Idou" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: "cocoa-dev@lists.apple.com" <cocoa-dev@lists.apple.com>
Date: Tuesday, August 12, 2008, 11:56 PM
The way to think about this is, you bind the value of the
text field
to a controller (or model) object that owns the value.
Then, bind the
enabled binding of the button to the same property of of
the same
controller and use a valuetransformer to check whether the
value is nil.

So your setup should look like:
- TextField value binding bound to yourObject with keypath

yourStringProperty
- button enabled binding bound to yourObject with keypath
yourStringProperty with value transformer NSIsNotNil

You may want to turn on "continuously updates
value" for the
textfiled's value binding.This way as soon as the user
starts typing,
the enabled state of the button will get toggled.

Note that part of why this works with the value transformer
is because
the textfield value binding sets nil as the value when the
textfield
is emptied.

RONZILLA

On Aug 12, 2008, at 11:21 PM, Chris Idou