> -setBackgroundColor: didn't work?

Nope, it didn't. But even if it would've, the background would have been
visible at all times. I'm sorry if I didn't write clearly enough, but it's
only when the cell is being edited that the background becomes black
(Instead of white like it usually does). When I'm not editing the cell,
the cell doesn't have a background.

> Did you read the documentation about the relationship between cells
> and views?

Is that in the Control and Cell programming topics for Cocoa? All I could
find is that NSTextField uses NSTextFieldCell, but I'm not really sure if
that's what you meant?

Thanks for you help,
Tim Andersson