I would like to be able to use an SSL certificate, but, beyond that, my needs aren't exotic. Ease-of-use and reliability would be a big plus. I've also considered a Ruby class that would handle the TCP messaging and pass responses back to the Cocoa-based app. Any suggestions?

Maybe the NSStream class is what you're looking for, especially the NSOutputStream and NSInputStream classes. There's a sample code called Cocoa Echo that shows how to use them. They are really easy to implement and they work with SSL, too (although the Cocoa Echo sample doesn't cover that).