On Aug 25, 2008, at 12:57 PM, David Duncan wrote:

On 25/08/2008, at 2:45 AM, Tim Andersson wrote:

Is there any way of creating a NSWindow that has a semi- transparent, blurred background? With "blurred background" I mean that whatever you see through the window/background is distorted (blurred).

There isn't a particularly fast way to do this, although I have experimented with it a bit in the past. You can use the CGWindow API to read the contents under your window and apply a blur to them using Core Image directly or indirectly via Core Animation, but in either case you'll see the Window Server spending considerably more CPU time as it has to re-render the contents under your window. You could fake it by updating the image rarely but there isn't a particularly good way to completely mitigate the CPU usage.

Hmm... it's very hard to tell, but I believe there must be a fast way that already exists.

I just played a QT movie (Apple's 20th anniv '1984') and then pulled down a menu (File) over the top of it. For users of Leopard, the menu background 'blurs' what's behind it. In the case of a QT movie, the menu's contents are definitely upgraded for each new frame.

It was very difficult to tell if each frame was truly blurred. But for the portion of the movie that rolls the "On January 24th.." text, the text definitely appeared to be blurred.