On Aug 26, 2008, at 16:54 , Gerriet M. Denkmann wrote:

On 27 Aug 2008, at 02:09, has wrote:

Gerriet M. Denkmann wrote:

When I try in Script Editor:

set macpath to POSIX file "/Volumes/เม่น/Users" as Unicode text

and do "Compile", then this gets transformed into:

set macpath to file " ‘ßÀÏ:Volumes:‡¡Ëπ:Users" as Unicode text

Sounds like you're on 10.4 or earlier.
Correct. I should have stated this in my posting.

The test that I did was under 10.5.4, so the "as alias" coercion still definitely
fails with Unicode even in Leopard.

AppleScript only supports Unicode source code in 10.5+; previously it used the host system's primary encoding, which is why your non- MacRoman(?) characters are getting mangled. If you must use AppleScript for some reason, either write your unicode string literals using raw «data utxt...» format, or pass in unicode strings as parameters to an Apple event constructed via NSAppleEventDescriptor.

I might try this.
But it is good to know that AppleScript cannot be used on 10.4.

IMO, this is a pretty significant shortcoming for AppleScript. Hopefully they fix that soon. Maybe a bug report should be filed?

/jason