Yes, you are correct. I am looking not to break MVC and also get the
correct implementation of binding in a custom view

> Just an example: I had a graphic application that drawed some inserted
> shapes. The shape itself is a part of the model, the color of the shape,
> too. But when the user selects a shape (symbol), the color should change. So
> the drawing of the shape depends on a view property. I think, this is the
> core of your problem.

Selection may not be a good example, because it is a "global" property
of the view, among all objects in the view, whereas I am talking about
states *per each" object in the view. Such state properties become
particularly indispensable for drawing, because drawRect message is
called "asynchronously", i.e. in the next event loop, not in direct
response to the binding's KVO message. The other case is when I need,
for performance reasons, to associate some view-specific cached data
with an object in the view, to avoid recreating it each time I need
the data to respond to the binding's KVO message.

In other words, I need a way to associate additional
custom-view-specific properties with model object, without adding them
as transitive properties to the model. What is the best way to do
this? Or maybe your point is that this is a bad idea at all and such
problem should not arise, and I need to include everything in the
model? What is the standard workaround suggested in Cocoa?

> I solved it by returning only bezier paths and colors from the model. So the
> shape itself (model) is still a part of the model, but the drawing
> (depending on the view) is done inside the view. (Simply by stroking the
> paths.)

It is not completely clear how this would help me to resolve the above
problem. It is not a problem for me to store the bezier paths and
colors in the model. But what about some volatile custom-view-specific
states that have nothing to do with the model?

The other completely different design I am also considering is to
create and bind a "subview" object for each model object. By "subview"
I mean just a subclass of NSObject that is bound to its model
counterpart. It could work like this: The custom NSView observes its
NSTreeController and when a new child model object is created, the
custom NSView creates the corresponding subview object (All subview
objects are owned by the custom NSView) and binds it to the model
object programmatically. When the model object is changed or removed,
its subview counterpart responds correspondingly. In this manner I
could hold all the view-specific states and cache data in the subview
object. What do you think?