On Aug 28, 2008, at 11:39 AM, Martin Stoufer wrote:

Actually no, since the default kill signal is TERM, apps will be allowed to prompt to save if necessary. This assumes the app is handling that signal properly. We could send KILL or ABRT and that would just end the processes w/o any save options.

Well, then there must be a lot of apps out there that don't handle it properly. TextEdit, Pages, Word, Omnigraffle all failed to prompt me to save dirty documents when I used killall on them.

Granted, that's a small data sample, but I'd be right (and rightly) pissed at anyone that decided that all those other programs were written wrong, and decided to use killall anyway.

On a Mac system, this is simply NOT the right way to do this.