On Aug 28, 2008, at 4:53 PM, Sherm Pendley wrote:

On Thu, Aug 28, 2008 at 12:37 PM, Phil Faber <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

All I'm trying to achieve is a tiny app that only quits open apps and then quits itself; the purpose being when I want to release as much memory and disc space as possible before I run another memory / processor intensive
app.

Not much point in that, IMHO - the virtual memory system will usually swap out inactive apps to make room when the active app needs more physical RAM. And if an app is in the background just waiting for user input, it's taking
a tiny amount of CPU anyway.

In fact, telling all applications to quit forces the OS to page in significant chunks of those apps so they can actually execute the quit request. That causes a bunch of VM churn and will hurt performance in the immediate term.

Cheers,
Ken