On Sat, Aug 30, 2008 at 5:08 PM, marc hoffman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> im seeing an odd issue, maybe someone has an idea? i have an NSTableView on
> my form, populated from an array by implementing the
> numberOfRowsInTableView: and objectValueForTableColumn:row: methods. i have
> some I elements on my form that update (filter) the contents if the array,
> and call reloadData:, when they do.
>
> most of the time, this works fine, and the table view updates
> instantaneously. however, some (rare) times, this does not happen, and the
> view of the grid does not change when i call reloadData: - however, when i
> scroll or even just click on a row, the rows repaint with the new values, or
> new rows appear where previously where none (if the data grew).
>
> any idea what might be happening? i mean, obviously the call to reloadData:
> takes fine, else if the table had - say - 3 rows before, it would not know
> to paint row five when i click it, right?

That's actually not obvious at all. You must remember that NSTableView
stores absolutely no data whatsoever internally. Whenever it needs to
know anything about the data that it displays, it asks your data
source. It does *not* only query your data source when you send it a
-reloadData. (Note that there is no colon on this method's name, as it
takes no parameters.) It will also query your data source every time
it needs to redraw, perform hit testing, or do anything else which
requires knowing what it displays.

So then, having the -reloadData call not do anything would explain
everything perfectly. It does nothing, so nothing happens. Then later
on you click. At this point, the table view does end up querying your
data source, which then tells it about the extra rows, and it
dutifully displays them. Since you've somehow failed to tell it about
those new rows earlier, odd things can happen like having the new data
only be partially displayed.

So then the question is, why does this -reloadData call fail? The most
obvious reason would be that its target is nil. In any case, step
through the code in question in the debugger, and hopefully the reason
shall be revealed.

Mike