On Aug 30, 2008, at 4:42 PM, marc hoffman wrote:

Andrew, Michael,

So then the question is, why does this -reloadData call fail? The most
obvious reason would be that its target is nil. In any case, step
through the code in question in the debugger, and hopefully the reason
shall be revealed.

i got it: the problem was actually my tableViewSelectionDidChange: handler. it did not appreciate me having a selection at a higher index then the new row count. tableViewSelectionDidChange: was triggered with -1 from within reloadData (makes sense), failed with an exception, and apparently that prevented reloadData from finishing properly. it also explains why the problem seemed so intermittent.

as most bugs, a real "duh" moment, once figured out ;).

thanx for bearing with me,
marc

Glad to hear that the problem's source was revealed! If you haven't already, I'd suggest that you set a breakpoint on objc_exception_throw (and -[NSException raise] if you're running before Leopard), such that the program will stop on exceptions and bring you (hopefully) to the exact line of code, in the debugger, that caused the exception. Doing so has helped me countless times with my own programs. :)

Cheers,
        Andrew