You might consider using a NSMutableIndexSet since your problem basically boils down to storing membership in a set for each of a ranch of numbers. NSIndexSet is what things like NSTable use to track selected rows. I would think it would be hard to beat that without going to a raw C bitmap implementation. It will be MUCH better than what you have now.

-Todd Blanchard