On Sep 16, 2008, at 4:17 PM, John Cebasek wrote:

Hi Nick, et al:

Well, I did use [self selectedRow], in a previous version of the code. but that also returned -1. I don't think I'm doing anything 'weird', the view has a delegate and a datasource which are in the same class connected in the xib. The awakeFroNib message populates the list. There are currently two parents (expandable) and a bunch of children in each. Things are populated corrected. My selection change notification is firing, so why wouldn't that cause _lastRowSelected (in the NSTableView member of the NSOutlineView, which I am assuming (and we all know what assume means) is the member that contains the currently selected row) be changed to reflect the currently selected row.

Has to be something staring me in the face, but I can't see it...

John

-selectedRow is the right thing to use. Or -selectedRowIndexes, if you use multiple selection. Don't access the ivar, that is not right.

It is hard to say what is going wrong without seeing your code. We'd have to see:

1. Your delegate/datasource's relevant methods
2. Your NSOutlineView subclass.

corbin