I think you misunderstood my post, and I used 'release' instead of 'dealloc' which was just lazy of me.

I was responding to Jason's post where he was talking about active memory management especially on devices where memory is limited. I may have misunderstood his post entirely but I took it to be talking about how to actually get memory freed (ie objects deallocated) as soon as possible and do the most you can to ensure objects you no longer use are really freed if of course nobody else is using them.

If you use the convenience constructors, they objects hang around until whatever autorelease pool they happen to have been allocated in is released, his post advocated one of two methods which were better, either the direct alloc/init or making your own local autorelease pool and draining it when you are done in your local routine. Neither of them absolutely guarantees that an object you created is actually destroyed when you're finished with it, implementation details can cause any number of things to happen. However they are both better in terms of 'active' memory management than convenience constructors and I think if you want to attempt to actively manage memory as best you can, the second is better, the local autorelease pool.

You'd think perhaps that alloc/init would give you an object which really has never been retained by anyone else, but as I said I remembered a post from a while ago about a complex object which was alloc/init'ed but ended up still having a retain/autorelease on it, so it hung around after the author of that post thought it would be gone.

You can never actually totally manage when an object is really, actually deallocated. Implementation details mean that objects could have retains on them (either real or from some outer autorelease pool you have no control over) but if you want to be aggressive about it and do all you can to maximize the chance objects are actually deallocated when you personally are done with them it seems to me that the worst of all worlds is the convenience constructor, in the middle is alloc/init, and the best shot you can give yourself is to make your own autorelease pool and retain/release all the objects you want inside it.